Claim Procedures

When disaster strikes, we believe it is important for our customers to have guidelines as to claim process, what to do etc. The Claim Procedures below were designed for just that.

Home > Claims > Claim Procedures
  • A fully completed claim form must be submitted immediately to Chadwicks with documentation substantiating the amount of the loss
  • Theft, Loss of Property and Motor Accidents must be reported to the Police immediately after the occurrence
  • All reasonable precautions must be taken to protect the property from further damage. i.e. act in principle "as if uninsured"
  • Never admit liability to Third Parties. All correspondence received should be forwarded to Chadwicks without delay
  • Vendors registered for VAT will be required to pay VAT to the Receiver of Revenue on claim settlements they receive. Sums insured must therefore include VAT at all times.


  • notify Chadwicks as soon as possible
  • co-operate with the insurer or their appointed loss adjustor
  • record all the details of the incident while they are still fresh in your mind and take photographs of the scene of the accident where possible
  • take the names of all witnesses, particularly independent witnesses
  • lodge a police report immediately
  • forward any letter of demand, writ or summons to Chadwicks immediately
  • take all reasonable steps to prevent further loss or damage
  • remember that insurers will only respond to losses that are covered, where you are legally liable in terms of South African law
  • remember that where the insurer responds to losses, they may decide to defend the matter in court as distinct from the settling the third parties claim out of court

Do not:

  • settle the Third Parties loss yourself as this will prejudice your claim
  • admit liability whether impliedly or expressly as this will prejudice your claim
  • discuss any settlement with the Third Party - refer all third party correspondence or interactions to Chadwicks immediately
  • expect your insurers to settle the Third Parties loss, where the Third Party is important to your business
  • expect insurers to settle the Third Parties loss based on sympathy or as a public relations gesture
  • attempt to defend the claim yourself or via your appointed legal advisor as this will prejudice your claim
  • Report to the loss to Chadwicks as soon as possible (some insurers require that the loss be reported within 24 hours)
  • Report the loss to the Police immediately
  • Obtain a report from your driver or appointed carrier while the accident is still fresh in their mind
  • Obtain the details of all the persons who witnessed the accident
  • Provide Chadwicks with the original Waybill / Invoice
  • Take photographs of the scene of the accident where possible
  • Obtain a written report from the carrier (where applicable) of the circumstances surrounding the loss
  • Insurers may require you to send a "Letter of Demand" to the carrier (if you appointed one) holding them responsible for the loss
  • take all resonable precautions to avoid further loss
  • Formulate your claim i.e proof your loss in terms of ownership and value
  • Report the incident to the Police and Chadwicks immediately
  • Complete the Property Loss Claim Form (the document is available under "Claim Forms")
  • Obtain two quotations in terms of the property the subject of the loss
  • Your insurers may appoint an assessor to adjust the loss on behalf of your insurer
  • Take all reasonable steps to avoid further loss or damage
  • In most cases your insurers will require you to sign an Agreement of Loss before they indemnify you in terms of an admitted claim
  • The Agreement of Loss absolves your insurers from any further liability in that your signature confirms that you have accepted performance in terms of the loss suffered, insured by the policy contract
  • Any outstanding Hire Purchase/Lease Agreement obligations and Excess payments are deducted from the indemnity figure offered by your insurers

Other Acts of God & Fire Insurance

  • Take all necessary steps to avoid further loss e.g. call the fire brigade, protect undamaged property etc
  • Contact Chadwicks immediately - we will ensure a Loss Adjuster is appointed without delay
  • Retain all salvage even if you think it may be worthless - the Loss Adjuster, who acts totally impartially, will decide what is the best method of disposing of the salvage
  • Assist  the Loss Adjuster in proofing your loss (the onus is on you to prove the extent of your financial loss in terms of the policy)

Business Interruption

The cover under this policy is subject to insurers admitting a claim under a Material Damage policy (e.g. Fire, Office Contents etc) which covers Fire, Storm etc (called Insured Perils in your Fire policy wording)

You would have contacted us if we insured your Material Damage policy and the same Loss Adjuster would then assist you with the reduction in Turnover loss. There are cases where you may have placed the Material Damage policy elsewhere and the Business Interruption with us - in this event Chadwicks needs to be informed immediately. We will then liaise with the other insurer in terms of the appointment of one Loss Adjuster in settlement of your loss

The Loss Adjuster will usually request information regarding your financials from your accountant or auditor in order to present a formulated claim to insurers

The Loss Adjustor's main task is to ensure that your business is restored to the production level you enjoyed pre loss. To this end they often make interim payments to you as reduction in turnover losses can span over periods of six to thirty six months depending on your selected Indemnity Period

Contact Chadwicks Risk & Insurance brokers to find out more about making sure you're covered for business interruption and to safeguard your assets in South Africa with fire insurance.


  • You should inspect cargo on arrival
  • You must hold the transport operators liable for any loss or damage
  • If you have an insurance certificate, you can contact the nearest Claims Settling Agent
  • A surveyor may be required to determine the nature, cause and extent of loss/damage
  • Act swiftly - the cargo remains your property

Required Documentation

  • Bill of Lading / Air Waybill
  • Commercial Invoice Insurance Certificate
  • Copy of notice of claim reported against carrier
  • Documentation relating to out-turn / receipt of goods
  • Local Carriers Waybill, where applicable
  • Copy of temperature records, where available
  • Invoices to confirm salvage / sale price, where applicable
  • Copy of instructions to carrier regarding carriage temperature, where applicable


You should always inspect cargo for loss or damage on arrival. Failure to do so will result in extra work to show that you did not cause the loss or damage yourself at a later time. If your cargo arrives in a container, the external   surfaces should be inspected for damage, and also the roof door seals and rust spots for water leaks.

Do not give a clean receipt to the delivering carrier unless you can immediately inspect the cargo and you determine it to be undamaged. When there is any doubt, you must immediately, hold the carriers/third party liable for the loss and advise Chadwicks. Failure to do so may prejudice you right to indemnity under the policy. Never accept the carrier's explanation that the cargo was received in a damaged condition. The carrier will need to provide evidence of their assertion.

Complete a Cargo Claim form

Consult the insurance certificate for the name of the survey agent. Contact the survey agent immediately. You have a legal obligation to act swiftly. Failure to do so can prejudice your insurance claim. The surveyor's role is to provide us with the nature, cause and extent of damage. Surveyors do not take control of the cargo. You remain responsible for the safety of the cargo. Surveyors usually have an expertise in maritime casualties and you are advised to listen to their advice. If in doubt, contact Chadwicks or your insurers.

You must take all steps to avoid / minimise any further physical or financial loss. The cargo remains your property. Ownership of the product does not pass to the insurer, unless there is an express written agreement. The surveyor is only there to record and advise, not to take control. Any delays caused by your inaction may affect your insurance claim.

Once all required documentation is submitted, the salvage/loss can be established by the surveyor. The surveyor will report in full to your insurers or your overseas settlement agents.

Car Accident Protocol

  • Record the scene of the accident by sketches
  • Obtain the names, addresses and contact numbers of parties who witnessed the accident
  • Record the names, contact and ID numbers, registration numbers, make and model of vehicles, insurance details of all the parties involved in the accident
  • Accidents where persons may be injured must be reported by the owner/driver directly to the RAF (Road Accident Fund) at P O Box 2743, Pretoria, 0001 on a prescribed form within 14 days
  • Never admit liability to a third party. Instead refer all third party correspondence, allegations and demands to Chadwicks
  • If the vehicle is drivable, it may be taken to a drive-in assessment centre (if you are insured with Santam, SA Eagle or Mutual & Federal) where damages are assessed and authorised if all the policy conditions have been met
  • Alternatively, where the vehicle is drivable, those clients who are not insured with Santam, SA Eagle or Mutual & Federal, should take it to a panelbeater for a quotation and insurer assessment. This option is also open to SA Eagle, Santam and M&F clients who do not want to make use of the drive-in assessment centre.
  • Certain insurers have an approved list of panelbeaters - please liaise with Chadwicks claims personnel for the finer detail of who is approved
  • If the vehicle is not drivable, please contact Chadwicks. We will arrange for the vehicle to be towed (the reasonable towing costs are covered on most policies) to a suitable panelbeater.
  • If you are unable to contact us (the accident could occur outside business hours) and the vehicle is not drivable, arrange for the vehicle to be towed to the nearest reputable panelbeater. Advise Chadwicks as soon as possible of the accident and the whereabouts of the vehicle
  • Always complete the Car Accident Claim Form (the document is available under "Claim Forms")
  • Never authorise repairs - this authority only vests with your insurer
  • The vehicle will only be released by the panelbeater once you have paid your policy excess(es) plus any other extras incurred (storage, extra work not accident related etc) have been paid
  • In certain cases, where the damage is nominal, insurers may settle the loss without assessing the vehicle. These cases should be presented to Chadwicks together with two quotations quantifying the damage. We will approach your insurers for approval of payment of the lowest quote, less the applicable policy excess (such approval can never be guaranteed as insurers still reserve the right to assess the vehicle before indemnifying you)

Car Theft

  • Notify the Police and Chadwicks or your insurer immediately
  • Most insurers have a waiting period of between 21-30 days before they settle a bona fide loss - reason being is that a large percentage of vehicles are recovered within this period
  • Complete the Car Theft Claim Form (the document is available under "Claim Forms")

In certain cases, where there is Theft of motor accessories (e.g. CD players, wheels etc) only, insurers may settle the loss without assessing the vehicle. These cases should be presented to Chadwicks Short Term Insurance brokers together with two quotations quantifying the damage. We will approach your insurers for approval of payment of the lowest quote, less the applicable policy excess (such approval can never be guaranteed as insurers still reserve the right to assess the vehicle before indemnifying you)

Total Loss Settlements - Car Theft & Vehicles Beyond Economical Repair

An Agreement of Loss will be presented to you in proposed settlement of an admitted claim.

This amount will be net of your policy excess(es) and any outstanding Hire Purchase/Lease Agreements etc

The following documents will be required before the amount stipulated in the Agreement of Loss can be paid : the original certificate of registration of the vehicle & a certificate confirming the vehicle has been scrapped

Car Windscreen

  • Take your vehicle to any PG Glass branch and furnish them with Chadwicks Short Term Insurance Brokers' contact details
  • PG will contact us for authorisation which will be immediate providing the terms of the policy have been met
  • You will need to pay the Windscreen excess to PG before they will release your vehicle

If you are unable to contact us (over weekends etc), PG usually authorise the windscreen replacement nett of the policy excess if you are able to provide them with your policy details confirming the vehicle is covered. PG will then invoice your insurers via Chadwicks Short Term Insurance Brokers and their account will be settled by your insurers provided the terms of the policy have been met. If not, you will be liable to PG for the settlement of the whole account

Alternatively, you could pay for PG's`account in full. Your insurers will then reimburse you nett of your policy excess providing you have complied with all the policy conditions

Excess Recovery

The excess portion on all car accident insurance policies is your uninsured portion of the loss

If you are not liable for the loss the recovery of your excess is pursued as a courtesy and can never be guaranteed.


It is critical that you advise Chadwicks of the possibility of a loss and we in turn will inform your insurers immediately thereby:

  • Achieving the best possible chance of recovery of the amount stolen
  • Minimizing investigation costs
  • Securing evidence in a manner acceptable to the criminal courts
  • Avoiding any possibility of your insurers rejecting your loss due to their rights being prejudiced due to late notification
  • Ensuring you involve insurers expertise as early as possible - after all they have the facilities, assessors and experience to handle investigations and to guide you in preparing claims

Information Required

Please provide us with as much information as possible including:

  • Date of discovery
  • Nature of Incident / apparent modus operandi
  • Indication of the period over which the loss occurred
  • Estimate of the financial value of the possible loss
  • Details of employee/s suspected
  • How the loss was discovered
  • Proposed action to investigate the incident

Get a Quote


Get the latest insights and insurance advice.